The amount of compositions that have rejuvenated novels or all ready composed pieces, is astonishing.
In this list we will look at 10 outstanding compositions that are exciting, interesting and bold.
- ‘Ulysses’–Roger Rudenstein. Over 10 years ago, American Composer Roger Rudenstein began to create a composed piece that took James Joyce’s Ulysses and turned it into classically portrayed Opus’.
- ‘Wuthering Heights’–Bernard Herrmann. Between 1943 and 1951, Bernard wrote an opera-only piece, and recorded it in 1966, however it was released theatrically in April 2011.
- ‘Romeo and Juliet’. William Shakespeare’s tragic love story has been rearranged or re modelled by many composers over the years however Prokofiev’s ballet version is particularly unique, merging both art forms in dance and performance.
- ‘Sense and sensibility’-Patrick Doyle. Originally created in 1811, then revamped by Patrick Doyle, this is a worthy score, with beautifully constructed instrumentation and piano based compositions.
- ‘Harry Potter’–John Williams, Patrick Doyle. J.K. Rowling’s famous books featuring everyone’s favourite character’s returned in film form, using scores from world renowned classical composers John Williams, Patrick Doyle, Nicholas Hooper and Alexandre Desplat.
- ‘The Book Thief’–John Watson. The score for the film was written and produced by John Watson, with beautifully constructed arrangements and emotional attachment to the film.
- ‘Sleeping beauty’-Originally written by Charles Perrault in 1697, the piece was separated into to pieces by the Brothers Grimm, one of Tchaikovsky’s most famous ballets was performed within this piece.
- ‘A Midsummer Nights Dream’–William Shakespeare has inspired a countless number of composers with this piece including Henry Purcell, Felix Mendelssohn, Carl Orff, Vaughan Williams and Benjamin Britten.
- ‘Carmen’–Bizet. This piece was inspired Merimee heard of a ‘ruffian from Málaga who had killed his mistress, who consecrated herself exclusively to the public. it was soon composed and released in 1875.
- ‘The Aspern Papers’–Domonik Argento. The Aspern Papers, originally written by Henry James. In 1987, Domonik Argento was commissioned by the Dallas Opera to produce an opera based on this novel.